Driving in the rain or during a thunderstorm can be pretty nerve-wracking for most people. Worrying about having an accident or being stuck on the side of the road can be very overwhelming. It can also be very dangerous. However, a few tips and adjustments can take away some of the anxiety and help you stay calm during your commute.
Driving in the rain and thunderstorms
If you happen to get caught driving in the rain or thunderstorm, don’t panic . There a extra precautions you can take to make your trip a safe one.
A few tips to keep in mind:
- Turn on your headlights, wipers and defroster to increase visibility.
- Drive in the tracks of vehicles ahead of you and reduce your speed.
- Allow for increased space between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- If you hydroplane, hold the steering wheel straight and remove your foot from the gas.
- Do not use cruse control during inclimate weather.
- Pull off the road in an open area away from trees to avoid a lightning strike.
Helping you to avoid claims is just one of the many value-added services we provide. In the unfortunate event you do have an accident, we will help you through the process. Give us a call during business hours or click here to view our after hours claim contacts.