With the beautiful weather we’ve had lately, it’s the perfect time to get outdoors with family and friends. Camping, cookouts, sports, etc. are a great way to spend some quality time outside with those you care about. However, it’s important to take a few steps to make sure you stay safe outside while having fun.
- Know what poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac look like, and avoid them if possible.
- When going camping, make sure to pack a first aid kit, flashlights, extra batteries, bottled water, waterproof matches, extra clothes, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- When involved in physical activity, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, even if you don’t feel thirsty. Also, don’t forget your pets’ water dishes.
- Watch out for food borne illnesses. Don’t eat cut-up produce that has been sitting out for more than one hour in warm weather.
- If using a grill, make sure it’s at least 3 feet away from other objects, including trees, seating, and your shelter. Keep pets and children a safe distance away, too.
Taking a few extra steps can ensure you have a safe and enjoyable time outside. In the event that something does happen remember this – most health insurance plans offer a lower co-pay for visiting an urgent care center vs going to the emergency room. If you have a condition that can be taken care of in an urgent care center, save yourself some money and time by going there. Don’t know what your health insurance benefits are? Give us a call, we can help!