Did you know that the month of love is also Heart month? Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Every year, 1 in 4 deaths are caused by heart disease. Can you recognize the signs of a heart attack? If not, remember the common symptoms, and seek emergency medical assistance if you or someone with you experiences any of the following:
- Chest discomfort – pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain
- Shortness of breath
- Breaking out into a cold sweat, dizziness or nausea
Protecting your heart is easy! Here’s how:
- Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly – 30 minutes most days of the week.
- Avoid saturated fats, trans fats and excess sodium (salt).
- Avoid eating foods that are high in calories, even though they may be labeled as “low fat.”
- Do not smoke.
Preventative visits are essential to heart health and early detection of any problem. Most health insurance plans cover preventative visits at 100% or with a small copay. Do you need help determining your preventative coverage benefits? Give us a call today.